I must break my apartment lease. Can they garnish my wages?

Answered on Nov 19, 2011

Have you tried contacting your local state representative and inquiring about LIHEAP. It is energy assistance that kicks in for those with low incomes. Maybe you can find some state help for your heating needs.

The procedure to garnish wages is something I have done many times in the past. Often times landlords do not persue it because of the costs. Also, if you are below federal poverty guidlines the landlord may not be able to. The guidlines are generally included in a form that comes with the garnishment paperwork. It requires some action on your part to establish.