Default judgement

Answered on Dec 4, 2011

There are some facts missing, so it is not possible to give a specific asnwer for your issues and you should absolutely get an attorney immediately.

As a general matter, if a Defendant does not respond within 20 days of service a 10 day notice may be sent. If there is not answer a default judgment may be request. If a default judgment is entered against you, your case becomes exceptionally difficult. There is a process to open or strike a default judgement, via a petition, which is somewhat easier after the first 10 days. However, there is are seperate standards which make this relief much more difficult. You should retain someone and respond ASAP.