What can I do if I can't perform my job anymore.

Asked in Meadville, PA , on May 18, 2014

I had back surgery over a year ago. I was threatened to be replaced after 6 weeks of recovery. I returned to work, my dr didn’t recommend it but he signed off on it. he put restrictions on my return but my employer says my job is considered a light duty job. I am a machinist and there is nothing light duty about my job. I have tried to do my job but I am to the point where I am in constant pain. I have talked with all dr involved, all they want to do is prescribe pain medicine that covers the problem and has made my back worse. the one doctor has advised me to take FMLA but doing this I will have no income to support my family. I am afraid if I continue to work at this job I am going to do permanent damage to my back. I feel there is some kind of job I can do but not this. do I have option

Answered on May 19, 2014

More facts would be needed. Even if this is an aggravation of preexisting nonwork related condition you may have a claim for workers compensation benefits. Also, you may have protections under the Americans with Disabilities Act which require the employer to accommodate your condition.